Mark V. Anderson Character-In-Action Leadership Award
A person of good character illustrates trustworthiness, respect, personal responsibility, fairness and citizenship. Whether a member donates his time and energy to a worthy cause, acts as a role model for the youth of his community or simply goes out of his way to help others, Sigma Chi recognizes this as an act of Character-in-Action™. Such members, who also lead with integrity, are good candidates for the Mark V. Anderson Character-in-Action™ Leadership Award.
Sigma Chi introduced the award in 2005 to recognize the selfless acts of brothers. A formal recognition from the General Fraternity not only applauds these actions, but also allows non-members an opportunity to appreciate the scope and mission of the organization.
The Krach Family Foundation endowed the award in perpetuity in 2007, and now the honor carries with it a grant to assist the recipient in carrying out his selfless actions. The award was endowed in honor of Order of Constantine Sig and past Sigma Chi Fraternity International Headquarters Executive Director Mark V. Anderson, ILLINOIS 1977.
- Nominee must be a Sigma Chi.
- Recognition should be for an action/deed that the nominee has performed within the last year, rather than for a monetary donation.
- Recognition should be for an action that leads to the betterment of or support for the community, not for the advancement of Sigma Chi.
- Nominee will not be recognized for service that is a part of his employment responsibility.
Nominate A Brother For The Award
Do you know a Sigma Chi who goes above and beyond what is expected of him? Does he "walk the talk" and make a difference in the lives of others? To nominate a brother who should be recognized with this award, send an email that answers the following questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- What is the community service for which the brother is being nominated?
- How and why did he begin such volunteer work?
- How long has he been involved in these activities?
- What percentage of the work was completed on a volunteer basis?
- How would you describe the nominee to others? What key traits does he possess that make him a man of good character?
- For how long have you known the brother?
Also, please send the name and contact information of someone with whom the nominee has worked while volunteering on the project. This person will serve as a reference.
Mark V. Anderson Character-In-Action Leadership Award Recipients Include:
Dan Shaver, TEXAS TECH 1993, who continues to help his little brother from Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metropolitan Chicago, C.J. Black, years after the two first met. Shaver has helped Black navigate through the challenges of life and has helped him adapt to his days as a collegian.
Richard St.Denis, MIAMI (FLORIDA) 1981, brings donated wheelchairs and mobility equipment to the impoverished in Mexico through his charity, the World Access Project Inc.
For at least six summers, members of the University of Cincinnati undergraduate chapter have volunteered to build homes and schools for those in need in Haiti.
Semi-retired dentist Kenneth Johnson, OREGON 1960, and his wife Dot donated dental services to those in foreign nations and in the Johnson's hometown of Corvallis, Ore.
To view a list of award recipients, please click here.