Apply For Horizons
Welcome to the 2019 Horizons Huntsman Leadership Summit application. You can access the application here starting November 17th, 2019.
The application is due no later than 11:59 pm, on Jan. 31, 2019.
Decision letters will be sent in March and a final acceptance will be due in April.
If you have any questions, please contact the Horizons Team, at email@example.com.
Horizons 2019 Program Dates
- Session 1: June 2 - 9, 2019
- Session 2: June 9 - 16, 2019
- Session 3: June 16 - 23, 2019
- Session 4: July 7 - 14, 2019
- Session 5: July 14 - 21, 2019
The Sigma Chi Horizons Operating Board will select 48 undergraduates for each of the 5 sessions based upon the following criteria:
- Availability for any, or all, of the sessions listed above;
- Have one full scholastic year remaining in your undergraduate studies as of May 31, 2019;
- Willingness and commitment to participate in pre and post event surveys, activities and assignments;
- Completion of the Online Application (including receipt of all attachments and a letter of reference) by the end of the day Jan. 31, 2019;
- Good academic, financial and Sigma Chi member standing; and
- Initiated by May 31, 2019.
2019 Essay Questions
Note: There is no save button on the survey, so we advise you to type your essay questions on a separate word document and paste them into the application when you are ready to submit the application.
- Describe what success means to you. Provide at least two examples.
- What life experience has most shaped you into the person you are today? How has the experience impacted your values?
- Provide an example of when your actions did not align with your values. What have you learned from this experience and how it has shaped your behavior?
Answer EITHER question #4 or #5. Do NOT answer both.
- What do you see as your greatest challenge in the next two years? What are you going to do to overcome this challenge?
- What cause do you care the most about? What have you done or what are you planning to do to make a positive difference?
The Horizons Operating Board is seeking our most qualified and best young Brothers to apply. Our program remains a competitive selection process blind to chapter affiliation with all personal information redacted when grading.
Program attendees will be selected through a review of applications meeting all Candidate Requirements, focusing on biographical information, personal essay questions, and a reference letter. You must be eager, willing and available to attend the entire program.
Thanks to the generous contributions of many Sigma Chi Brothers to the Sigma Chi Foundation, Participants are awarded a scholarship of $2700 to cover the full cost of their experience. Horizons and the Sigma Chi Foundation will pay for travel, on-site food, lodging, and meeting costs. Any incidental expenses will be the responsibility of each attendee.
Participants begin their experiences in an on-site immersion of whole-brained learning that engages their minds and bodies.
As a participant, you will explore the inner territories of leadership:
- How leadership is directly linked to your values and character
- How you can incorporate high-minded values into a lifelong practice of leadership
- How you can discover and utilize your full potential
A team of Sigma Chi alumni faculty who have been carefully chosen and intensively trained to guide the Horizons program, and who share your commitment to self-improvement, will guide you. You will learn from your guide, the other undergraduates, and from yourself.
The Horizons Huntsman Leadership Summit will unfold amid the splendor of Snowbird, Utah, an ideal setting for outdoor adventure, interactive learning, and inspired reflection. It will push you to think and act differently. The experience is just a first step, it is the beginning of a personal journey that will change you, and in so doing, change our world.